One name is a single reversal away from firing
Why no trade today
CAI came within two points of making us pull the trigger today. The Relative Strength Engine scored it 47.8 out of 100 — and the threshold to fire a trade is 50. Close enough that we spent a good chunk of the morning with one eye on it. The setup itself isn't bad: price is holding at $30.73, sitting above 20-day moving average support at $30.13, and knocking on the door of the 95th percentile for relative strength across our entire universe. What it hasn't given us yet is the clean intraday reversal we need to confirm the move. Without that, the score doesn't cross the line. So we watched. We waited. No trade today. We're still long SPY while the engines keep looking for something worth acting on.
Three names we're watching closest
Two other names surfaced on the radar today, both from the Breakout Engine — and both tell the same story in slightly different ways. HALO is the more interesting one: scored 50.1, which technically clears the threshold, but the specific breakout conditions weren't there. Price at $124.26 needs to be within 0.5% of the consolidation high at $123.60, and while volume came in strong at 2.68x average, the price proximity just wasn't close enough. That's the Breakout Engine being precise on purpose. BOX is a similar story — $41.22 with a consolidation high at $40.79, volume running at 1.97x (above the 1.5x minimum), but the gap between price and that level is still too wide. Both setups are maturing. Neither is ready. We'd rather watch them tighten than chase them loose.
What would trigger us tomorrow
Here's what we need to see tomorrow. On CAI, we need it to hold the 20-day moving average and show a clear intraday reversal — something that finally pushes the RS score past 50. If it gaps below $30.13 at the open, the setup is probably done. On HALO, the job is simple: price needs to close the gap to that $123.60 consolidation high. Volume is already showing up. If price follows, the Breakout Engine will likely fire. BOX runs the same math — price needs to press toward $40.79 while volume stays elevated. We're not forcing any of these. The system tells us when the conditions are met. Until then, the watchlist is the watchlist — not a trade plan.
The cost of waiting (or forcing it)
There's a real cost to waiting, and it's worth naming it plainly. Every day we're flat on a new position is a day SPY can move without us — except right now SPY is doing almost nothing, up just 0.01% on the day at $768.80. Staying long SPY while the engines hunt isn't painful today, but it can be. The sharper risk is the one we guard against more carefully: forcing a trade because the watchlist feels close. A score of 47.8 is not 50. A breakout that hasn't broken out yet is just a stock sitting near resistance. The threshold exists for a reason — because we've learned the hard way that 'almost' doesn't compound well.
One more thought before we go
Day 76 of the experiment. The system is up 5.1% against SPY's flat line over the same stretch. Win rate is still 0% — a number we'll keep explaining until we don't have to, and we're fine with that. The existing positions are carrying their weight. Now the question is whether CAI finally shows us that reversal tomorrow, or whether HALO makes its move first.
How our rebuilt system performs against the S&P 500 in testing — year by year, with the honest caveats.
Keep exploring
- How we trade → — the exact rules behind every trade: the signals, the triggers, the sizing.
- How we built this → — the six losing trades, the rebuild, and the walk-forward gate.
- Browse the archive → — every signal we've published.
- Latest signals → — today's morning and afternoon reads.
- Follow by RSS → — morning, afternoon, or Sunday recap.