The setup is close. Our engine says not yet.
Why no trade today
SAP scored 71.4 out of 100 this morning — and we still didn't take it. That's not a mistake. Our Breakout Engine has a 50-point minimum before it fires a signal, and even at 71.4, the setup wasn't complete. Price at $226.10 is sitting above the consolidation high of $222.21, which is exactly the structure we want to see. Volume came in at 3.75x normal — well above our 1.5x threshold. But 'close' and 'ready' aren't the same thing, and the system knows the difference. It said wait, so we're waiting. Day 73 of this experiment, and we're up 3.6% while SPY has gone basically nowhere over the same window. We didn't build that cushion by forcing trades into setups that weren't fully there, and we're not starting now.
Three names we're watching closest
Behind SAP, the Breakout Engine is also watching KNSA and SIG — and neither of those is ready either. KNSA is at $82.14 with a consolidation high at $80.99. It scored 60.0/100: volume is showing up at 3.73x, but the price action hasn't confirmed enough of the range to earn a signal. SIG is a looser setup still — $111.81 against a key level at $109.06, scored 55.4/100, and volume is only 1.88x. It technically clears the bar, but the score says the conviction isn't there yet. None of these three are broken ideas. They're just not done cooking. Meanwhile, SPY is up 0.09% at $767.98, barely twitching. A quiet session is fine. Calm days don't owe us a trade.
What would trigger us tomorrow
Here's what we're watching for tomorrow. SAP needs to show a sustained push through $222.21 — or, if price pulls back intraday and re-approaches on renewed volume, the engine may rescore it higher. For KNSA, the trigger is a tighter approach to $80.99 with volume holding above 1.5x. SIG is further back in line. If any of them fire, we'll publish a same-day signal with the full numbers: entry, stop, 2R target, and risk per share. In the meantime, we're staying long SPY — our default when the engines aren't seeing anything better — and keeping a close eye on the existing book. TEAM is the standout in open positions at +13.8% on day 36. HURN is holding well at +10.3% on day 16. RNG is the sore spot, sitting at -2.9% and -3.4% on the two positions. The book is doing its job. We'd like to keep it that way.
The cost of waiting (or forcing it)
There's a version of risk that comes from not acting — watching a stock run while you held out for the perfect signal. That's real, and it stings. But the bigger risk right now is taking a 71-point setup because we want something to do. Boredom is not an edge. Forcing a trade into a position that scores below 75 or 80 on a quiet tape tends to produce exactly the kind of outcome we're already managing in RNG. We're sitting on a winning open book. The job right now is to protect it, not dilute it.
One more thought before we go
At day 73, the system is doing exactly what it's designed to do — which sometimes means nothing. SAP gets one more session to prove itself. If volume holds and price confirms, we'll know quickly. If it fades, it drops off the list and something else steps into its place. That's the process. The question is always whether the market agrees with the setup before we risk anything — not after.
How our rebuilt system performs against the S&P 500 in testing — year by year, with the honest caveats.
Keep exploring
- How we trade → — the exact rules behind every trade: the signals, the triggers, the sizing.
- How we built this → — the six losing trades, the rebuild, and the walk-forward gate.
- Browse the archive → — every signal we've published.
- Latest signals → — today's morning and afternoon reads.
- Follow by RSS → — morning, afternoon, or Sunday recap.