The breakout may be one session away from firing
Why no trade today
BUG scored 71.8 out of 100 this morning. That sounds close. It is close. But closeness isn't the same as clean, and our Breakout Engine doesn't care about almost. The hard floor is 50 to fire a signal — and 71.8 isn't the problem. The problem is that the setup hasn't fully aligned yet. Price is sitting at $48.93, just 2.3% above the consolidation high at $47.83, and volume is already running at 5.09x the average. The volume showed up. The rest of the picture hasn't caught up. So here we are on day 66 of this experiment, in the same familiar posture: system up 7.2%, SPY flat over the same window, closed-trade win rate officially 0 for 19, and a book of open positions quietly doing their work while the engine waits for something worth swinging at.
Three names we're watching closest
Three names made the shortlist today — and each one tells a slightly different version of the same story. BUG leads the group, as already noted. It's a cybersecurity ETF sitting just above a key consolidation zone with volume already running hot. If price firms up and the setup tightens further, this one could cross into signal territory fast. SKYY comes in next at 66.7. It's a cloud-computing ETF trading at $172.35, with a consolidation high at $170.30 — just 1.2% below current price. Volume is running at 2.97x, well clear of the 1.5x minimum. The score isn't quite there, but the proximity is hard to ignore. Then there's NVDA at 49.2 — just below threshold. Price is $242.08, the key level is $240.10, and it's essentially sitting on top of its own breakout zone with volume at 2.02x. NVDA showing up here isn't a surprise. But 49.2 is 49.2. We don't round up.
What would trigger us tomorrow
No trade plan today — that's the honest answer, and it's the right one. What we're watching for tomorrow: BUG needs a confirmed close above the $47.83 consolidation high with volume staying elevated. If that happens and the engine score clears threshold, we'd be looking at a standard Breakout Engine entry — price just above the key level, stop below the consolidation range, and a 2R target calculated from that risk. SKYY and NVDA are secondary. Both need score improvement, not just price movement. In the meantime, we're staying long SPY as our default position while the engines idle. That's not a trade — it's a placeholder. The system's job is to find setups worth taking. Until it finds one, we sit.
The cost of waiting (or forcing it)
The risk of waiting is real. It's just not the biggest risk on the table. Forcing a trade below threshold because BUG looks close — that's the actual danger. Our closed-trade win rate sits at 0 for 19, and we're not going to pretend that's a comfortable number. But the open book is carrying positions like IOVA at +73.6% and TWST at +51.0%, and the system overall is up 7.2% while SPY has gone nowhere. The process is working in ways the win rate hasn't fully captured yet. Diluting that process by chasing a 71.8 score that didn't earn the entry — that's how a system quietly becomes a gut feeling. We'd rather wait.
One more thought before we go
Day 66, and the engine is watching three names it actually likes. That's not nothing. The question was never whether BUG breaks out — it's whether it breaks out in a way the system can score cleanly. If tomorrow's open delivers that, you'll hear about it.
How our rebuilt system performs against the S&P 500 in testing — year by year, with the honest caveats.
Keep exploring
- How we trade → — the exact rules behind every trade: the signals, the triggers, the sizing.
- How we built this → — the six losing trades, the rebuild, and the walk-forward gate.
- Browse the archive → — every signal we've published.
- Latest signals → — today's morning and afternoon reads.
- Follow by RSS → — morning, afternoon, or Sunday recap.