I'm a Stock Trader

PAYC is one level away from a signal

Our Relative Strength Engine is watching one number. Here's exactly what it needs.
Watchlist Preview
EXPERIMENT UPDATE — Day 55 System: +1.9% | SPY (same window): +0.0% | Alpha: +1.9% Win rate: 0% (0/18) Open positions: CRNX (day 45, +1.2%), CRNX (day 40, +0.9%), CRNX (day 39, +0.8%), CRNX (day 38, +0.6%), CRNX (day 37, +0.5%), CRNX (day 36, +0.4%), CRNX (day 33, +0.3%), CRNX (day 32, +0.2%), CRNX (day 31, +0.2%), CRNX (day 30, +0.3%), CRNX (day 29, +0.2%), CRNX (day 26, +0.2%), CRNX (day 22, +0.1%), CRNX (day 19, -0.0%), TEAM (day 10, +6.8%), TEAM (day 9, +5.7%), IOVA (day 8, +25.8%), RNG (day 5, +3.3%), TWST (day 4, +23.0%)

Why no trade today

PAYC scored a 46.9 out of 100 this morning. Our threshold is 50. No trade. That's not a close call we're going to talk ourselves into — the entire point of running a rules-based system is that 46.9 means sit on your hands, not squint harder at the chart. We're now 55 days into this experiment. The system is up +1.9% against SPY's flat 0.0% over the same window. Win rate is still 0% — every open position is a winner on paper, but nothing's been closed yet. That's not a bug; that's just where we are in the cycle. TWST is up 23.0%. IOVA is up 25.8%. TEAM is up over 6%. They're all still running, and until they stop, we hold. In the meantime, we're also long SPY — keeping exposure while the engines look for something worth adding.

Three names we're watching closest

PAYC is the name the Relative Strength Engine has its eye on right now. Price sits at $227.18, just below the 20-day moving average at $229.15 — and that gap matters. The 20dma is acting as overhead resistance, and PAYC needs to reclaim it cleanly, not just poke through it on low conviction. On top of that, it needs to be printing in the top 93rd percentile of relative strength. It's close on the RS ranking, but the price action hasn't confirmed the story yet. A clean intraday reversal back above $229.15 with RS holding up — that's the setup worth acting on. The other name on the radar is IBIT, flagged by the Breakout Engine with a score of 53.1, which actually clears our threshold. Price is $48.27, and the consolidation high we're watching is $46.37. Volume is already running at 3.11x average — well above the 1.5x minimum the engine requires. IBIT is worth watching closely, but the Breakout Engine didn't fire a trade signal today. The specific conditions weren't all lined up at the right moment.

What would trigger us tomorrow

Nothing to execute today. Here's what we're watching for tomorrow: PAYC reclaiming $229.15 on the 20dma with RS back in the top percentile and a convincing intraday reversal — that's when the Relative Strength Engine takes another look. On IBIT, we'd want to see price pressing into the consolidation high at $46.37 with volume still elevated. If those conditions line up at the open and the score clears 50, the engine may fire. No entry, no stop, no target to publish today — those numbers only matter once a signal triggers.

The cost of waiting (or forcing it)

The risk of waiting is real. PAYC could gap up tomorrow and we won't be in it. That's fine. Missing a trade that didn't meet our rules isn't a loss — it's the system working exactly as designed. The worse outcome is forcing a 46.9 setup because it felt close enough, then watching it fall apart. Our open positions are mostly doing what we need them to do. We don't need to manufacture urgency just to feel busy.

One more thought before we go

Fifty-five days in, and the hardest discipline still isn't finding setups — it's walking away from the ones that are almost right. Tomorrow, PAYC will tell us something either way: it reclaims the 20dma and the engine fires, or it doesn't and we learn something about where this stock actually wants to go.

See how the system backtests →

How our rebuilt system performs against the S&P 500 in testing — year by year, with the honest caveats.


Keep exploring