I'm a Stock Trader

This setup cleared the floor — but not the bar

One name is sitting right on the edge. Here's what it still needs.
Watchlist Preview
EXPERIMENT UPDATE — Day 53 System: +0.9% | SPY (same window): +0.0% | Alpha: +0.9% Win rate: 0% (0/18) Open positions: CRNX (day 43, +1.2%), CRNX (day 38, +0.9%), CRNX (day 37, +0.8%), CRNX (day 36, +0.6%), CRNX (day 35, +0.5%), CRNX (day 34, +0.4%), CRNX (day 31, +0.3%), CRNX (day 30, +0.2%), CRNX (day 29, +0.2%), CRNX (day 28, +0.3%), CRNX (day 27, +0.2%), CRNX (day 24, +0.2%), CRNX (day 20, +0.1%), CRNX (day 17, -0.0%), TEAM (day 8, +5.8%), TEAM (day 7, +4.8%), IOVA (day 6, +21.1%), RNG (day 3, +5.7%), TWST (day 2, +5.4%)

Why no trade today

CMBT is sitting right on the edge — and doing absolutely nothing about it. That's exactly the kind of tension we're watching for. The stock closed at $20.68, a hair above its consolidation high of $19.97, and volume came in at 3.51x the average. That's well past our 1.5x threshold. So why didn't our Breakout Engine fire? The score landed at 64.7 out of 100, and our system requires a minimum of 50 to enter — so the floor was cleared. But we run a second filter: the setup has to pass a composite quality check that weighs price proximity, volume confirmation, and trend structure together. CMBT passed on volume. It hasn't fully resolved the price compression yet. Close counts in horseshoes. Not here. So we're sitting in cash and continuing to ride our long SPY position while we wait for something worth swinging at.

Three names we're watching closest

AVTR and TMO are also on the radar, though both are further back in line. AVTR is trading at $15.95 with its consolidation high at $15.82 — a gap of less than 1%. Volume is running 2.44x normal. The math looks decent, but the score sits at 50.3, which technically clears the floor and keeps it on our list. TMO is the interesting one: $653.91 with the key level at $653.40. That's essentially zero distance — the stock is sitting right on top of the trigger. Volume at 2.41x is solid. Score of 45.5 means it doesn't qualify yet. That could change fast. All three are Breakout Engine setups. The engine looks for stocks in multi-week consolidation that are coiling near range highs on expanding volume — the idea being that when price finally breaks free with that kind of fuel behind it, the move tends to have follow-through rather than fading back into the range. That's the theory. We're still testing it.

What would trigger us tomorrow

If CMBT resolves tomorrow, here's what we'll be watching: price holding above $19.97 on continued elevated volume, with a potential entry on a clean break above the range high. A stop would likely sit below the consolidation base. There's no live entry yet, so there are no specific entry, stop, or target numbers to publish — those come when the signal actually fires. Same goes for AVTR and TMO. We'll re-score all three at the open. If none of them trigger, we keep watching. The system doesn't chase. Day 53 of the experiment: system up +0.9%, SPY flat at +0.0% over the same window. Nineteen open positions, led by IOVA at +21.1%, TEAM up high single digits, and a stack of CRNX positions grinding quietly in positive territory.

The cost of waiting (or forcing it)

The real risk on a day like this isn't missing a trade — it's talking yourself into a setup that doesn't fully qualify because you're bored and the market feels like it owes you something. We've seen what forced trades look like. The score threshold and the composite filter exist for a reason. CMBT at 64.7 feels close enough to be tempting. That's the trap. A setup that's 'almost there' and one that actually triggers are two very different things, and treating them the same is how you quietly dilute the edge you're trying to measure. One more thing worth noting: all three watchlist names are Breakout Engine setups. There's no diversification across engines right now, which means if the broader market chops sideways this week, none of them may fire at all.

One more thought before we go

Nineteen positions open, none of them entered today, and the system is still ahead of SPY on the year. The no-trade days are part of the data too — maybe the most important part. We'll be watching to see whether CMBT finally clears tomorrow, or whether this one quietly fades off the list without ever pulling the trigger.

See how the system backtests →

How our rebuilt system performs against the S&P 500 in testing — year by year, with the honest caveats.


Keep exploring