The setup our engine nearly pulled the trigger on today
Why no trade today
CRL scored 47.2 out of 100 this morning. Our threshold is 50. That gap sounds small. It isn't — the engine's cutoff exists for a reason, and 47.2 is a no. So we didn't trade. Day 41 of this experiment, and the system is up +0.6% while SPY has run +2.1% over the same window. That's a -1.5% alpha gap, and we're not going to paper over it. The win rate on closed trades sits at 0-for-14. What's keeping the overall number positive is the open book — SNOW is up +22.3% on day 36, QLYS is up +5.2%, NWL is up +2.3%, and a stack of CRNX positions are grinding higher. We're staying long SPY in the meantime, riding the market until one of our engines finds something worth acting on. Forcing a trade at 47.2 to feel productive would be exactly the wrong move.
Three names we're watching closest
Of all the names the Relative Strength Engine is tracking right now, CRL sits closest to the line. Price is at $288.72, with 20-day moving average support at $282.12 — about 2.3% below. What the engine wants to see: CRL posting top-90th-percentile relative strength against the broader market, then printing a clean intraday reversal off that moving average. Neither happened today. Close enough that it stays front of mind — not close enough to act. PFE is the second name, scored 48.3 via the Breakout Engine. It's essentially sitting on its consolidation high at $28.70, with the current price at $28.75 — within a hair of the range. The problem is confirmation: the engine needs 1.5x average volume, and we're seeing 2.33x right now, which sounds like enough until you notice the price action hasn't confirmed the break. AAPL tells a similar story through the same Breakout Engine — $322.97 against a consolidation high of $322.37, 2.5x volume, still no clean trigger. Two names knocking on the door. Neither one has opened it.
What would trigger us tomorrow
No entry levels, no stops, no targets today — nothing triggered. What we're watching for tomorrow: CRL holding above $282.12 and showing the kind of relative strength that puts it in the top decile against SPY. If it gets there and the intraday reversal is clean, the Relative Strength Engine has a real shot at crossing 50. For PFE and AAPL, we need price to confirm the breakout with volume already in place. A gap-and-go open on either name could change the picture in a hurry. These aren't predictions — they're the conditions our engines are waiting on.
The cost of waiting (or forcing it)
The risk of waiting is real. It's still a lot smaller than the risk of trading a setup that scored 47.2. Every trade we've forced below our threshold has cost us. The open positions are doing the work right now — we don't need to manufacture activity to feel like we're in the game. There's one other risk worth naming: if CRL, PFE, or AAPL move hard overnight, we miss the entry. That happens. A rules-based system occasionally watches a good setup run without it. That's the cost of discipline — and it beats the cost of chasing.
One more thought before we go
Forty-one days in, and the honest read is this: the open positions are carrying the system while the closed-trade record is still looking for its first win. That's uncomfortable, and we're not pretending otherwise. The real question now is whether the engine finds a 50+ score before the open positions start unwinding — and whether CRL decides to give us a reason to act.
How our rebuilt system performs against the S&P 500 in testing — year by year, with the honest caveats.
Keep exploring
- How we trade → — the exact rules behind every trade: the signals, the triggers, the sizing.
- How we built this → — the six losing trades, the rebuild, and the walk-forward gate.
- Browse the archive → — every signal we've published.
- Latest signals → — today's morning and afternoon reads.
- Follow by RSS → — morning, afternoon, or Sunday recap.